Every device is connected to a network/internet, whether a computer, smartphone, gaming console, or anything on a network. Each has its IP address and MAC address, which gives the device its identity on connected devices. However, accessing them could be a little trickier if you are not into technicalities.
This guide will show you how to find your device’s IP address and the MAC address of your device. We’ll help you find your local IP address, but you can also check your public IP address through your router’s login page. So here’s how to find MAC address and IP address on any device.
How to Find IP Address and MAC Address on Any Device
How to Find Mac Address and IP Address on Windows 10
Finding Mac Address and IP Address on Windows 10 is convenient and faster than the old versions of Windows. Here’s how to find them on Windows 10.
- Click on the WiFi/Internet button located on the taskbar of your Windows Desktop.
- Click on the Network & Settings option. The Settings window will open up.
Alternatively, you can also open the Settings app and head over to the Network & Internet option.
- Once you’re in, click on the Properties button. This option will take you to the Properties windows.
- Scroll down a little bit, and you’ll find the IP address stated as “IPv4 address” and the Mac address as “Physical address (MAC).”
You can also click on the COPY button to copy all your network details to the clipboard and send it to others.
Find Mac Address and IP Address on Windows 7, 8, 8.1, and Windows 10
You can find the IP and Mac Address on the previous Windows versions, even on Windows 10. Here’s how to do it on the previous Windows versions.
- Click on the Start Menu and navigate to Control Panel.
- Head over to the Network and Sharing (Network and Internet on Windows 7) settings option.
- Click on the Change Adapter Settings link located on the left-hand pane.
- Right-click on the connected network, and click on the Status option.
- From the Status window, click on the “Details…” button. As a result, the Network Connection Details pane will open up.
- From the Network Connection Details window, your MAC address will be listed as “Physical Address,” and your IP Address is shown as “IPv4 Address.”
Finding IP Address and Mac Address using Command Prompt/CMD on Windows
Alternatively, you can also find MAC address, IP address, and Network details using Command Prompt on Windows. Here’s how you can do it.
- Open Command Prompt on Windows. You can do that by clicking on the Windows + R key, typing in CMD, and hitting the ENTER key.
- Now type the following command and hit the Enter key:
- This command will list your MAC Address as “Physical Address,” and your IP Address as “IPv4 Address.” You can copy them to your clipboard if you want to send them to others.
How to Find MAC Address and IP Address on macOS
Finding Mac Address and IP Address on macOS is elementary, and you wouldn’t need a lot of steps as well. If you are connected to your WiFi, you need to hold the Opt key on your keyboard and click on the WiFi icon on the menu bar or finder bar on the top of your screen.
In consequence, it’ll show the MAC Address and IP Address along with other network details. However, the MAC address is listed as “Address” only.
Regardless of your connection type — wireless or wired, you can find Mac Address and IP Address in a few steps, and here’s how.
- Click on the Apple menu, and choose System Preferences. Alternatively, you can click the Settings/System Preferences icon on the dock.
- Click on the Network option.
- Click on the “Advanced” option.
- You’ll find your Mac Address on the Hardware tab and your IP address on the Wi-FI or the TCP/IP tab.
How to Find Mac Address/IP Address on iPhone, iPod Touch (iOS), and iPad (iPadOS)
Finding Mac Addresses and IP Addresses on iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad is quite similar. Although the Operating Systems are named differently, they’re essentially the same. To find Mac Address and IP Address on iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad, follow these steps:
- Open the Settings app, and head over to the WiFi section.
- Tap the “i” button located on the right of any WiFi connection. You’ll find your IP Address and other Network details.
- You’ll also find the MAC Address on the same page as well.
How to Find Mac Address and IP Address on Android Phones/Tablets
If you’re using an Android phone or tablet, the process might differ depending on the manufacturers, but the basic solution is almost identical.
To find your MAC Address and IP Address on Android, follow these steps:
- Go to the Settings app on your Android device. You can also access it by swiping down from the top of your screen and clicking on Settings.
- Go to your WiFi Settings on your devices. Some devices show it as “Network and Internet,” while others might show it as “Wireless Networks.” It depends on the manufacturer and the ROM of your device.
- Go to the connected WiFi Network and you’ll find your MAC Address and IP Address there.
Alternatively, you can go to your About Phone section on your device. You’ll find the MAC Address and IP Address there. Some devices list it in the About Phone section. If you have any questions regarding your device, please refer to the manual of your device or perform a Google Search.
How to Find Mac Address and IP Address on Chromebook (Chrome OS)
If you’re using a Chromebook or any device using Chrome OS, you can find the IP Address and Mac Address in the Device’s Settings. On Chrome OS, you might need to give MAC Address and IP Address to the Network administrator. In such situations, here’s how you can find the IP Address and MAC Address of your Chromebook.
- Sign in to your Chromebook or the device running Chrome OS.
- On the bottom-right of the screen, click on the Time.
- Select your WiFi network from the menu.
- On the top of the box, click on the “i” button.
- You’ll see your Chromebook IP address and Mac Address (listed as WiFi).
How to Find Mac Address and IP Address on Your Linux/Unix Machine
If you’re using a modern Linux-based machine, you can find the MAC Address and IP Address in a few steps. Here’s how to do it.
- Click on the Network icon in the Notification area.
- Select the “Connection Information” option from the drop-down menu.
- A new window will open that lists your IP Address, and you’ll find MAC Address listed as “Hardware Address” here.
If you have access to the terminal on a Linux-based machine, type the following command to display your device’s MAC and IP Address.
Here, the MAC Address is listed as “HWaddr” and the IP Address as “inet addr.”
You Have Found Mac Address and IP Address on Your Device
In this guide, we’ve found out how you can find MAC Address, IP Address, and other network details of your device. There might be numerous reasons for finding your MAC Address and IP Address, and the methods mentioned above will help you do that. We would suggest not to alter the MAC Address since the hex code ties up with the device’s hardware. If you plan to change it, please proceed with caution. May the force be with you.
Did you try finding your MAC Address? If you have any other tips for your fellow readers, please share them in the comments!
- How to Install Windows 11 Insider Preview on Incompatible PCs
- How to Forget Wireless Networks on Mac in 5 Easy Steps
- How to Sync Contacts from iPhone to Mac Quickly
- How to Turn on Windows Defender on Windows 10, 7, 8, and 8.1 Easily
- How to Update Minecraft Windows 10 Edition to the Latest Version Manually