Minecraft is a sandbox video game released by Mojang in November 2011. Since then, Minecraft has become one of the most popular if not the most popular video game, selling more than 200 million copies on all platforms. The Minecraft Windows 10 edition constantly gets updates to improve stability and fix bugs. Therefore, it is necessary to update Minecraft as and when you get updates.
In most cases Minecraft Windows 10 edition should update itself automatically however, there are times when Minecraft won’t update. In this article we will show you the various ways to update Minecraft Windows 10 Edition as well as how to update Minecraft manually on other platforms such as Android, iOS, macOS, PS4, Xbox One.
How to Update Minecraft
To update Minecraft on your PC, first make sure that your Windows 10 is completely up to date. To check if you have any pending update, follow the steps given below:
- Open Settings on your Windows 10 PC.
- Click on “Update and Security”.
- Click on the “Windows Update” tab.
- Click on “Check for Updates” or “Restart Now” to install the update.
The above steps should get your Operating System up to date. Now we will show you various methods to update Minecraft Windows 10 Edition.
How to update Minecraft Windows 10 Edition (Bedrock) using Microsoft Store
The easiest way to update Minecraft is using the Microsoft Store. Follow the steps below to update Minecraft using the Microsoft Store:
- Open the Microsoft Store
- Click on the three dots on the top-right corner and click on “Downloads and Updates”.
- Then Click on “Get Updates”.
- This will update all of your installed applications including Minecraft.
What to Do if Minecraft Refuses to Update
There are some cases, where Minecraft doesn’t update through the Microsoft Store. You can fix this using one of the following methods:
1. Reset Minecraft
- Open Settings or click on Windows Key + I to open Settings.
- Click on “Apps”
- Click on the “Apps and Features” tab
- Scroll down and find Minecraft
- Click on Minecraft then click on “Advanced options”
- Click “Reset”
Now, go to the Microsoft Store and check for an update to Minecraft. If Minecraft still doesn’t update then your only option is to uninstall and reinstall Minecraft. Follow the steps below to reinstall Minecraft:
2. Reinstall Minecraft
- Press Windows Key + R to open Run.
- In the textbox, type appwiz.cpl and press Enter or click on “Ok”.
- Find Minecraft in the pop-up that opens.
- Right-Click on Minecraft and click on “Uninstall”.
- Now, open File Explorer or press Windows Key + E to open File Explorer.
- Type %Appdata% in the textbox and press Enter.
- Find the Minecraft Folder and permanently delete it using Shift + Delete.
- Go to minecraft.net and download the latest version.
- Install and Run Minecraft to check if it is running properly.
DISCLAIMER: Uninstalling Minecraft may erase your data. Make sure to back-up or save your Minecraft data before you uninstall it.
How to Update Minecraft: Java Edition (Windows/macOS)
The main difference between Minecraft: Bedrock Edition and Minecraft: Java Edition is Mods. If you play Minecraft: Java Edition, there is a good chance that you use mods to improve your gameplay experience or add more features. Mods are built for a certain version and may not work if you update Minecraft: Java Edition. That said, most mods will still work if you update Minecraft: Java Edition. However, if a mod you installed stops working after an update, you can always check if an updated version of the mod is available and download it.
The Minecraft launcher will automatically update Minecraft: Java Edition anytime you open the Launcher app and are connected to the internet. To check if you have the latest version of Minecraft installed, follow the steps given below:
- Open the Minecraft Launcher.
- Click on the Drop-Down Menu next to play.
- Now click on “Latest Release”.
Compare the number underneath “Latest Release” to the latest version of Minecraft. You can find out the latest release for Minecraft with just a quick search on the internet.
How to Update Minecraft on Android
To update Minecraft on Android, follow the given steps:
- Open the Google Play store and search for Minecraft..
- An update button will show up if a new update is available.
- Click on “Update” and wait for it to download and install.
An alternate method to update Minecraft on Android is given as follows:
- Open Google Play Store.
- Click on your profile photo in the top right.
- Click on “Manage Apps and Device”.
- Click on “Updates Available”
- Find Minecraft and click on “Update.”
How to Update Minecraft on iOS
To update Minecraft on iOS, follow the given steps:
- Open the App Store.
- Search for “Minecraft”.
- You should be prompted to update if you own Minecraft.
- Click on “Update” then wait for it to download and install.
How to Update Minecraft on Xbox One
To update Minecraft on your Xbox One, follow the given steps:
- Power on your Xbox and go to “My Apps and Games”.
- Select Minecraft and click on “More Options”.
- Click on “Manage game & add-ons”.
- If an update is available, you will be prompted to Update Minecraft, if not then Minecraft is up-to-date.
How to Update Minecraft on PS4
The Minecraft app on PS4 should Update automatically. However, if updates are not set to automatic, follow the given steps to update Minecraft on PS4:
- Power on your PS4 and find Minecraft.
- Click on the Options button.
- Now, click on “Check for Updates”.
- If an update is available then you will be prompted to update Minecraft.
Minecraft Windows 10 Edition is now Updated!
These are the methods to update Minecraft on various platforms. Only reinstall Minecraft on Windows as a last resort as it can wipe your game data if you forget to back it up or save it. Hope you enjoyed this article, feel free to comment below with any kind of feedback on this article.