Spotify appearing on your screen right after you make a first boot up of your computer may annoy you in a few instances. Spotify launches automatically at startup when your Mac or Windows computer if you have installed the app.
You can easily stop Spotify from opening at start-up on your computer in just a few clicks. This guide will show you different ways to stop Spotify from starting up automatically on both Mac and Windows.
How to Stop Spotify from Opening Automatically at Startup on Mac
In the macOS system, you can easily disable the automatic start-up of Spotify using two different methods.
Stop Spotify From Opening at Startup Automatically From the App’s Settings
You need to change the app’s settings to stop Spotify from automatically launching when your Mac boots.
1. Open the Spotify app.
2. Click Spotify from the menu bar and select Settings. Alternatively, press ⌘ + , (Cmd + comma) on your keyboard.
3. Click on the dropdown menu next to Open Spotify automatically after logging into the computer under the Startup and window behavior section.
5. Select No from the dropdown menu.
Stop Spotify Starting up Automatically from Login Items of macOS
You can make changes on your Mac and disable the opening of Spotify on startup from the Login Items menu of your System Preferences page.
1. Open System Settings from the Apple menu on the Mac.
2. Go to General and select Login Items.
3. Scroll down and turn off the toggle next to Spotify.
How to Stop Spotify from Opening at Startup Automatically on Windows
Windows users can disable the Spotify automatic opening via the app’s preferences menu. Moreover, you can do the same using Task Manager and Windows Settings to prevent the app from opening automatically.
Stop Spotify from Opening at Startup from App Settings on Windows
You need to tweak the app’s settings to stop Spotify from automatically launching when your Windows system boots up.
1. Open Spotify or search for the app from the Search bar (Win + S).
2. Click the three-dot menu icon in the top left corner of the app.
3. Go to Edit > Preferences and scroll down until you find the Startup and Windows Behaviour.
4. Click the drop-down menu present on the right and click on No to disable the automatic opening of Spotify on startup
Stop Spotify From Opening at Startup Automatically Using Windows Task Manager
The Task Manager on Windows can help you in many unexpected crashes and situations. You can also use the Task Manager options to turn off Spotify’s automatic startup by disabling the app in the Startup apps menu.
1. Open Task Manager from the Start menu or use the Ctrl + Shift + Esc keyboard shortcut.
2. Head to the Startup menu from the top menu of the Task Manager.
3. Select the Spotify app from the list and click the Disable button.
After hitting the Disable button, Spotify’s status should change to “Disabled”, and the app won’t be a hindrance from the next boot-up.
Disable Spotify From Opening Automatically Using Windows Settings
You can disable Spotify from automatically opening on Windows directly in Settings. Like the Task Manager, you can see a list of applications and software on your Windows PC in the Startup section of settings.
1. To open the Settings app, open the Start menu and select the gear symbol.
2. Go to the Apps tab by navigating through the Settings app.
3. Select the Startup page option in the right pane.
4. Scroll down the list, locate Spotify and turn off the toggle next to it.
Stop Playing Peek-a-Boo With Spotify at Boot Up
Now that you know how to stop Spotify from opening at startup on Windows and Mac. This should prevent the program from using up important system resources and enable a quicker system startup. Additionally, the software shouldn’t irritate you when you are booting up your Mac or Windows PC while in a rush.