There are times when you download an application of your choice to use it. Fast-forward a few days, you find out that you haven’t opened it. In such cases, you might want to uninstall the application from your Mac. If you’re a new Mac user, there are chances that you might not know how to uninstall apps on macOS.
Don’t worry — uninstalling apps from macOS is relatively straightforward than you think. It isn’t even complicated as Windows (if you’re coming from a Windows PC). The process differs a little for applications downloaded from App Store and the ones downloaded from the internet.
Uninstalling applications from your Mac/Macbook running macOS will save a lot of storage when you need it the most. It’s best to keep your Mac clean from unused apps to save space. This guide will show you how to uninstall apps from your Mac using Finder and Launchpad.
How to Uninstall Apps on Mac (2021)
There are two ways to uninstall apps on Mac — using Finder and Launchpad. Using Finder, you’ll be able to uninstall apps downloaded from App Store and the internet. On the contrary, if you use Launchpad, you can uninstall apps only downloaded from the App Store. So we’d recommend using the Finder method to save your time.
Uninstalling Apps using Finder
If you installed the app from the internet or the App Store, you’d need to use the Finder to uninstall apps on your Mac. Here’s how to uninstall macOS apps using Finder.
- Click the Finder icon on your Dock (blue face smiley icon).
- Click Applications from the left-side pane.
- Select the app that you want to uninstall and drag it to the Trash icon on your Dock. You can also right-click the application and select “Move to Trash” option.
- Click on the Trash icon in the Dock.
- Right-click on the app icon, and select the “Delete Immediately” option.
That’s it, and this is how you can uninstall an application on macOS using Finder. When deleting apps from the Finder, you’ll get a prompt with a Delete option. Click it, and you’ll remove the app from your Mac.
Uninstall Apps using Launchpad
You could uninstall apps on macOS from Launchpad if you installed the app from App Store. For internet apps, you’ll have to use the Finder method. This method is easy when you’ve apps installed from the App Store. Here’s how to uninstall apps on macOS if downloaded from App Store.
- Click the Launchpad icon on your Dock (colored square icon). If you’re on older version of macOS, the Launchpad icon will look like a spaceship.
- Click and hold any app until they start shaking. Alternatively, you can hold the Option (⌥) key on your Mac to make the icons shake.
- Click on the little “X” button on the corner of the app to uninstall it.
Only apps installed from the App Store will have the “X” option.
- Click on the Delete option to confirm deletion of the app.
Doing this will uninstall the app from your Mac. You won’t find the apps deleted from the Launchpad in the Trash. So it’s best to think twice before deleting an app from your Mac.
Uninstall Apps on macOS with Ease!
We hope you learned how to uninstall apps on macOS from this guide. Deleting apps from macOS will always lead to more storage on your Mac. You might find some uninstallable apps. These apps could be a virus or malware, and you’ll find them when you download apps from the internet. It would be best if you use anti-virus software to make sure that it’s not a virus.
Deleting apps on Mac is as simple as uninstalling apps from your iPhone. Even though you’re new to macOS, uninstalling apps on Mac is way simpler than Windows. You can also use apps like AppCleaner to uninstall applications but uninstalling apps natively on macOS is preferable.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE: